Directions and Public Transportation
Sandy Hook (732) 872-5970
From North Jersey and New York:
– South on the New Jersey Turnpike
– Exit 11 onto the Garden State Parkway (South)
– Exit 117 (Keyport/Hazlet)
– After toll, bear left and follow Route 36 East
– 12 miles to park entrance (after crossing the Highlands Bridge)
– stay right to enter the park.
From South Jersey:
– North on Garden State Parkway
– Exit 105 (Eatontown), bear left for Route 36 East
– Continue on Route 36 East, pass Monmouth Mall and across Route 35 through Eatontown and Long Branch (Route 36 is called Joline Avenue here).
– Continue on Route 36, which turns left and follows north along ocean. (Route 36 is called Ocean Blvd. here)
– North for six miles through the towns of Long Branch, Monmouth Beach and Sea Bright to park.
From Philadelphia & Camden, NJ:
– New Jersey Turnpike north to Exit 7A (Shore Points) onto I-195
– East on I-195, to Garden State Parkway north.
– GSP north to Exit 105 (Eatontown).
– Then follow “From South Jersey” directions above.
The closest airport to Sandy Hook is Newark Liberty Airport approximately 40 miles from the park entrance.
* New Jersey Transit Bus 834 stops near the park entrance. Phone 1-800-772-2222 for schedule.
* Academy Lines bus service operates direct from New York City to Highlands. Phone 732-291-1300 or 1-800-242-1339 for schedule.
Click here for the NJ Transit website
Click here for the Academy Bus website
* New Jersey Transit’s North Jersey Coast Line to Red Bank, then NJT Bus 834 to Highlands. Buses drop off at or near entrance to Sandy Hook – no transportation into the park. Phone 1-800-772-2222.
* Year Round Ferry Service to Highlands: Seastreak (1-800-BOATRIDE) provides daily ferry service year around between Manhattan (Pier 11 & East 35th Street) and Highlands, NJ. It is about 3 miles from the Seastreak Highlands ferry stop to the park.
* Summer Direct Service to Sandy Hook: Beginning Memorial Day Weekend, Seastreak provides direct service to Sandy Hook from Manhattan (Pier 11 and East 35th Street) daily with shuttle bus service from the Fort Hancock Ferry Landing to North Beach, Gunnison Beach and Beach Area E.
* Taxi service can provide service into the park by linking the bus stop and ferry dock in Highlands, and the local train stations.